Summing up the last week is simple, it was all about the snow; preparing, enjoying and just flat out wishing it would go away. Of course in our house we can't seem to start anything without a visit to the doctors office. Enzo was just finishing up his antibiotics for his ear infection when we noticed the red rash and hives on his torso. Thinking this looked familiar we took him in. Sure enough they think he was having an allergic reaction to the antibiotic. This wouldn't be much of a concern except that he has displayed reactions to EVERY antibiotic that's been given to him. Now we find ourselves with a kid who gets constant ear infections and has apparent allergies to every antibiotic. As much as I hate to put him through it, we are trying to get him into allergy testing soon to verify what is he actually allergic to. I hope this gives us the answers we need.
Our attention quickly turned to the snow and getting prepared. The forecast was for 10" Tuesday night so Jim came home from work early and I got stocked up on essential supplies (gas for the generator, milk, food, ice cream and hot chocolate). We settled in to watch the snow and waited.
Lauren (or Laurnie as Enzo likes to call her) is finally understanding she has to stand up for herself with two brothers in the house. Granted she's giving a loud yelp and a nasty look when a toy gets taken by her brothers, but at least it's a start. Below is a picture when Oliver dropped his bottle and Lauren was only too happy to help...herself. Score one for Lauren!


In all the excitement about the snow I must have lost my mind because I left open the cupboard where I store my secret stash of Luck Charms and you can probably guess who found it. Enzo saw the box and proclaimed it was his favorite cereal and could he please have some? I gave him a bowl (after picking out the majority of the marshmallows) and thought I was being sneaky while trying to hide the box above the fridge in another cupboard. Yet Enzo poked his head around the corner and proceeded to tell me I was putting it away in the wrong spot and took the box and put it back where it was before. Guess I can't pull the wool over his eyes anymore. I'll miss having Lucky Charms.
We awoke Wednesday morning to 6" of snow. As you can see from Jim's snow measuring stick he was a little over ambitious starting the markings at 12". Even though it wasn't as much as predicted we were excited to play in it. Jim's office was closed and Mike Dahlin offered to pick he and Enzo up and take them sledding with them. Enzo had a great time even with the wipeout at the end. The best part was the video Jim took where he and Mike were talking about how to erase the clip where Enzo fell off the sled when they were racing the kids down a hill so I wouldn't see it. Haha!


If I had to pick a highlight of the week it is something only parents of formula fed babies can appreciate. We finished our last container of formula and are on to whole milk now! I feel like we hit a financial windfall. Now if we can just get them off the bottles we could gain an extra hour a day that we spend washing bottles right now. It's always good to aim high right?
The winter weather continued to pour down, this time in the form of freezing rain. All this did was force us to stay inside. Normally one day of this wouldn't be bad except we had been home for over a week already with everyone sick. All it takes is 5 minutes of watching the news to stop feeling sorry for yourself and realize how lucky we were to still have power while over 250,000 homes were without.

By Friday Enzo was getting pretty tired of the snow and being cooped up so he decided to pretend play with his brother. I was thinking how sweet he was as I watched him play with Oliver in his circus tent. When he announced he was giving Oliver a shower and needed some shampoo I should have stopped and checked on him, but instead kept washing bottles and remarked how proud I was of him for playing nicely with his brother. That's when I saw the milk, specifically on Oliver's head. Enzo couldn't understand why I was cleaning off Oliver's head, saying he was only pretending it was soap, it wasn't really. At least Oliver thought it was funny.


Finally luck came our way in the most unexpected way. Our friends Kathryn and Paul had been without power for almost 24 hours and didn't know when they would get it back. We offered to let them stay with us so they came over with their son Christopher (2 1/2), daughter Ella (10 months) and dog Zoey. Enzo was so enamored with Zoey he can't stop talking about her. That poor dog got chased and chased, lucky for us she was a good sport about it. Having a slumber party turned out to be a good break in our cabin fever and offered lots of entertainment with 4 adults, 2 toddles, 3 babies and 1 dog under the same roof. We were sad to see them go back home Saturday night when they got their power back!




The week ended on a sad note with the reflection of the 5 year anniversary of Jim's friend Ty Pederson's passing. Jim was able to go out with their friends and Ty's Dad that night and remember what a great friend Ty was. While everyone who knew him is still hurting they are better for having had known him. Our love goes out to his family, especially his wife Brooke and daughter Hanna.
Ty Pederson 7/1/70 - 1/22/07
Enjoy your week and hold close to those you love.
No comments:
Post a Comment